“THE WORST IS OVER; OUR GDP IS GROWING MORE THAN OUR POPULATION. THAT MEANS WE HAVE A FUTURE” - UMAHI TELLS NANS — As Nigerian Students Induct Him as Grand Patron, Hail Him as “One of the Finest” in Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Cabinet The Minister of Works, Senator Engr. David Umahi, CON, has declared that Nigeria is now seeing stronger economic outlook under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, noting that the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is now growing faster than its population. Umahi made the declaration on Monday, August 10, 2026, at the headquarters of the Federal Ministry of Works in Abuja, while speaking after he was formally inducted as Patron of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS). The minister described the development as a positive indication of Nigeria’s economic prospects, saying, “I was enthused to find out that our GDP is growing more than our population. That means we have a future.” The NANS leadership, led by its President, Dist. Comr. Akinteye Babatunde Afeez, GCNS, had earlier commended Umahi for his contributions to national infrastructure and described him as “a worthy member of the Renewed Hope Cabinet and, indeed, as one of the finest public servants Nigeria has produced in the contemporary era.” The students said the recognition was not merely ceremonial but a reflection of Umahi’s visible contribution to road infrastructure and national development under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration. According to NANS, the roads and bridges being delivered under Umahi’s supervision are directly connected to the lives of Nigerian students, affecting their mobility, access to educational institutions, examinations, internships, businesses and employment opportunities. The students specifically cited major projects including the Abuja-Kaduna-Kano Expressway, Abuja-Kaduna-Minna route, Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway and Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway as examples of projects they said demonstrate the Federal Government’s commitment to improving national connectivity. Afeez also disclosed that NANS had studied project reports of the Federal Ministry of Works covering the period between May 2023 and May 2026 and expressed its intention to embark on nationwide project tours to inspect completed and rehabilitated projects. He said the students would use their platforms to communicate the impact of the projects to millions of Nigerian students, Nigerians and the wider world. Responding, Umahi challenged Nigerian students and young people to look beyond political sentiments and examine the policies and achievements of the Tinubu administration objectively. “We have had somebody say, ‘President Tinubu is tired.’ How do you know he is tired? I am part of President Tinubu. The Minister of Interior, the FCT, all the ministers and all the SSAs are vibrant and working. So how do you just jump at that conclusion?” The minister urged Nigerians to demand concrete alternatives from those criticising the administration. “If you say that the President is not doing well, what is your alternative?” he asked, stressing that political promises must be backed by clear plans and a credible mission. He also called on students and other young Nigerians to take a position on issues affecting the country, arguing that remaining neutral in the face of visible progress was not always the right approach. “You may say that you are not politicians or that you will not take sides, but this is the time to take sides in our national affairs. It is time to take a stand,” Umahi said. On the economy, the minister acknowledged that the macroeconomy was only beginning to recover but urged Nigerians to consider the condition of the economy before the present administration took office and assess the reforms objectively. “You may say that the macroeconomy is just beginning to recover. What was it like before the President took over? Everybody agrees that the macroeconomy is being fixed. It is up to you to dissect the ongoing reforms and take a position.” Umahi also pointed to developments in the education sector, saying the stability being witnessed under the Tinubu administration had created an environment in which students were able to continue their studies without the disruption of nationwide strikes. “For the first time, students never went on strike. Never. Look at the stability of Nigeria. That has never happened throughout the history of this country.” “Where is the subsidy money?” Umahi explains Addressing questions surrounding the removal of fuel subsidy and where the resulting resources were being deployed, Umahi pointed to the scale of ongoing infrastructure projects across the country. He cited the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano road, which he said covers 375 kilometres and, when measured as a dual carriageway, amounts to 750 kilometres. According to the minister, more than ₦200 billion has already been spent on the project, with 480 kilometres of the dual carriageway completed and further sections nearing completion. “For the first time, we have been able to complete 118 kilometres of concrete pavement within 30 months. That has never happened,” he said. The Minister said the remaining works were expected to be completed by November, noting that the two projects on the route have a combined cost of ₦752 billion, with more than 80 percent already paid. He also highlighted the Sokoto-Zamfara-Zaria corridor, the Benue-Ninth Mile road, and the Bodo - Bonny Island road as examples of projects receiving significant attention under the Tinubu administration. On the Bonny Island project, he said: “For the first time, people will move from the island to the mainland in Bonny Island, where the LNG is produced. A project costing ₦280 billion under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has been completed. The 39.7-kilometre road is fully done, and the people of Bonny are very happy. They are no longer dying at sea. They are now driving through the land.” The minister also spoke extensively about the administration’s legacy road projects, including the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway and the expanded Northeast Fourth Legacy Project. He disclosed that the Northeast project, originally running from Akwanga through Jos, Bauchi, Gombe and Biu, had been extended through Yobe to Maiduguri, adding another 400 kilometres to the project. Umahi defended the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway against criticisms, saying the project was strategically important to the Niger Delta and would be completed. “I do not know why people are attacking the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway. After all, this is coming from the Niger Delta, where the oil is coming from. Why is nobody attacking the other three Legacy Projects, but this one is being attacked? That is unfair and unrealistic. That project will be completed. In fact, over 50 percent of the entire stretch is already under construction.” The minister also used the occasion to speak about the development of the Southeast, saying President Tinubu had deliberately embarked on projects aimed at integrating the region into the national infrastructure network. “The Southeast, for the first time, is being remembered, and I thank the people in the Southeast because sometimes I say, ‘Listen, our people should not be sentimental.’” He said the administration’s approach to the region was intentional and urged the people of the Southeast to work with other parts of the country. “The President has a good intention to integrate the people of the Southeast, and I have to be very honest with you. If I were not a minister from the Southeast, we would not have been able to get the projects we have secured. It is intentional on the part of Mr. President. Go and right the wrongs of the Southeast.” Umahi cited the Enugu-Onitsha Expressway and Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway among the major projects transforming connectivity in the region. He also disclosed that President Tinubu had approved the re-scoping and reconstruction of the Lokoja-Benin-Warri corridor, covering a total of 401 kilometres. The minister was particularly direct in urging the students to support President Tinubu in the 2027 election, arguing that Nigerians should support the administration if they believe its policies are producing results. “I want you to take a side. If you say you are on the list of a coalition and you say that what we are doing is good, then we have to take a stand to vote for the President in the coming election.” Umahi also urged Nigerians to look beyond political rhetoric and focus on practical solutions to the country’s challenges. “Listening to others should not mean allowing yourselves to be insulted or blackmailed. Cheap talk will not solve our problems. Nobody is saying what he or she can do differently. The worst is over. The darkest part of the night is an hour before dawn.” He pointed to the decline in food prices as one of the developments Nigerians should consider in assessing the economy, recalling that a 50-kilogramme bag of rice, which he said had risen above ₦80,000 and at some point reached ₦100,000, was now selling at about ₦58,000. Umahi also stressed the administration’s commitment to transparency in the execution of road projects, saying the Ministry of Works had opened its projects to scrutiny by anti-corruption agencies. “Now, why are we doing this? Transparency. We have turned these projects over to the ICPC. They have gone round. We are ready for constructive criticism, and where necessary, we will make amends.” He added that the Ministry had also written to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to inspect its projects. “We have nothing to hide in this administration.” The minister urged NANS to organise a major student engagement across the geopolitical zones where students could ask questions directly and hear the government’s explanations on its policies and projects. “Let me defend this administration. Organise it and let me come. Move students from across the zone to a central point where we can talk to them and address their concerns. We have to deliberate on the issues. We have to debate them. Ask your questions, and we will answer them.” He said he would attend such engagements with some ministers and Senior Special Assistants to the President, stressing that students were important stakeholders in the country’s future. Umahi further challenged young Nigerians to take responsibility for protecting public infrastructure and contributing positively to national development. “See something, say something. Together, we can take back our country because it belongs to us.” He said the responsibility for the performance of government should be placed on the officials directly responsible for specific sectors, rather than on the President for every operational issue. “I am here because the President gave me the responsibility to be in charge of roads and bridges. If I do not do it, I should be the one to be blamed, not the President. I am not the President. The President has divided himself into a number of his appointees. These appointees should be the ones to answer and take responsibility.” The minister concluded by thanking the students for the recognition and expressing his readiness to deepen collaboration with NANS. “I want to thank you very much.“ He described the students as important partners in the national development process and encouraged them to remain informed, ask questions and hold leaders accountable. The NANS President, in his address, said the association considered Umahi worthy of its patronage because of his record of public service, infrastructure delivery and commitment to national development. He said the roads being constructed under Umahi’s leadership would outlive the present administration and continue to serve generations of Nigerians. “History will not remember public officers merely because they occupied important offices. History will remember them for what they built, what they changed and the lives they touched.” Afeez formally welcomed Umahi into the NANS family as Patron, describing the partnership between the student body and the Federal Ministry of Works as an opportunity to bring government projects closer to young Nigerians and deepen informed national discourse.
“Let him finish. Let him take back our country. Let him reposition our country.”
FG Pledges Partnership with Investors to Address Housing Deficit Vice President Yemi Osinbajo says the Federal Government will partner with genuine investors in the housing sector to bridge the country’s housing deficit. Osinbajo made the pledge in Abuja on Tuesday at the opening ceremony of a Housing Summit with the theme: “Addressing Housing Stock Deficit in Nigeria: A Holistic View.” The summit was organised by the Housing Circuit Magazine in collaboration with the Senate Committee on Land, Housing and Urban Development. The vice president, represented by Mr Suleiman Hassan, the Minister of State, Power, Works and Housing assured Nigerians that the government would continue to provide enabling environment for investment in the housing sector. He said that the Federal Government, through the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing was leading the drive on land and housing reform to ensure easy access to land for housing. According to him, the ministry has produced the revised and updated National Housing and Urban Development Policies as well as the National Building Code. He said the National Housing Programme of the Federal Government through the construction of houses across the country was a commitment to make significant and lasting changes in the sector. Osinbajo said the adoption of the National Housing Policy for sustainable housing delivery and the Housing Development Programme facilitated under the public private partnership were other interventions of the Federal Government. In his remark, Sen. Barnabas Gemade, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Housing said the theme of the summit was appropriate in view of the increased mass housing programme of the Federal Government. He said the upward review from N35 billion in 2016 to N40 billion in the 2017 budget was a clear demonstration of the Federal Government commitment to tackle housing challenges in the country. He pledged the commitment of his committee to fast track the reform and commercialization of the Federal Housing Authority through legislative process. Gemade said the delay in the release of budget resulting to frustration of work because of lack of funds and clear mortgage system were the major challenges facing the nation’s housing sector. “In addressing some of these challenges, we must take a critical look at the mortgage system. “We must also seek ways of how funds can be freed from certain sectors of the economy with much capital that can be deployed to the housing sector,” he said. ...
FG Invests N100b On 25 Arterial Roads Nationwide- Fashola The Federal Government is reconstructing and rehabilitating 25 arterial roads with an aggressive plan to spend about N16.7b for each geopolitical zone across the country. The fund, which is a safe and low risk investment, is a Debt Management Office (DMO) Sovereign Sukuk (bond) with a 7-year tenor to the tune of N100b. The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, SAN, disclosed this today while addressing members of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) who paid him a courtesy call, in his office. The prioritized 25 road projects include the Dualisation of Ibadan-Ilorin Road, Suleja-Minna Road, Kano-Maiduguri Road, Lokoja-Benin Road, Rehabilitation of Enugu- Port-Hartcourt Expressway and the Construction of Kaduna –Eastern Bye- Pass, amongst others. The Minister also stated that the Ministry is in the process of re-introducing the tolling system on completed Federal Highways in order to sustain the maintenance of these roads. Earlier in his address, the President of MAN, Dr. Frank Udemba Jacobs, MON, commended the Minister for the novel idea in road financing, while specifically praising him for the on-going rehabilitation of Lagos-Ibadan, Onitsha- Enugu Expressways and other strategic roads across the country. He also expressed delight for the approval of N213b Nigerian Electricity Market Stabilization Facility (NEMSF) aimed at easing some of the challenges in the electricity industry value-chain. On a final note, he applauded the Federal Government for its recent measures at getting the economy out of recession and the provision of an enabling environment for business to thrive. In attendance at the meeting were the Minister of State II for Power, Works and Housing, Surv. Suleiman Hassan Zarma, the Permanent Secretary, Power Sector, Engr. Louis Edozien, Directors and Chief Executives from the Ministry. ...
FG Patners With Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas To Build Bodo-Bonny Road With Bridges As Fashola Signs Tripartite Agreement The Federal Government through the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing has signed a tripartite agreement with the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) and Julius Berger Nigeria Plc (JBN) to build the Bodo-Bonny Road with Bridges across the Opobo Channel Routes 430 in Rivers State. The Honourable Minister of Power, Works & Housing, Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN, on behalf of Government, signed the over 120 billion naira project awarded to Julius Berger Nigeria Plc (JBN) at the Ministry’s Headquarters in Abuja. Fashola stated that the Bodo-Bonny Bridge is a major infrastructural project that linked Nigeria to where so much resources are produced, adding that the signing of the tripartite agreement signifies the commencement of construction work and government’s commitment to clean up, build up and repositioned the Niger Delta as a major contributor to Nation’s resources. The Minister further stated that, this is in fulfilment with the present Administration’s promise to deliver on critical infrastructural projects across the nation and put the economy back on the path of growth and development. Earlier in his remarks, the Managing Director of Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas, Mr Tony Attah on behalf of Management and Staff of Nigeria LNG appreciated the Federal Government and the Minister for the signing of the tripartite agreement and the opportunity for the part-funding of the construction of the Bodo-Bonny Road project. Attah further stated that the provision of the road will no doubt expand the scope of economic opportunities and secure livelihoods for the rural and riverine communities. He added that the construction of Bodo-Bonny road will invariably usher the accomplishment of long held dream of connecting Bonny Island to the rest of Nigeria. On his part, the Managing Director of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, Engr. Wolfgand Goetsch thanked the Federal Government and Nigeria LNG for the trust and confidence reposed on the company, assuring that the project will be completed within the time stipulated and in accordance to specification. The project which was first awarded in 1993, suffered series of delays and abandonments. The Ministry thereafter terminated the contract due to the dismal performance of the contractor and re-awarded the project to JBN which has proven experience in handling projects in difficult terrains of mangrove/swamp forest and creeks. The expected date of completion of Bodo-Bonny project is in 2019. ...
DRIVING NIGERIA’S FUTURE: CELEBRATING TWO YEARS OF TRANSFORMATIVE LEADERSHIP AND THE LAGOS-CALABAR COASTAL HIGHWAY MILESTONE
DRIVING NIGERIA’S FUTURE: CELEBRATING TWO YEARS OF TRANSFORMATIVE LEADERSHIP AND THE LAGOS-CALABAR COASTAL HIGHWAY MILESTONE
MID -TERM REVIEW MEETING ON THE IMPLIMENTATION OF THE DECISIONS REACHED AT THE 29TH NATIONAL COUNCIL ON WORKS (NCW) DAY 1
MID -TERM REVIEW MEETING ON THE IMPLIMENTATION OF THE DECISIONS REACHED AT THE 29TH NATIONAL COUNCIL ON WORKS (NCW) DAY 1